1. The Hong Kong Young Fashion Designers’ Contest is a fashion design contest realized in the format of a fashion show.
2. Contestants will submit sketches for a preliminary judging by a panel whose members include the Chairman of the HKTDC Garment Advisory Committee and industry practitioners.
3. Shortlisted contestants will need to prepare four sets of fully accessorized garments based on their design sketches for the show to be staged during the “CENTRESTAGE” (4-7.9.2019). Prize presentations follow.
4. The collections will be presented individually in order to keep their distinct identity. Designers may suggest the styling and model sequence. The Council’s appointed show producer has the absolute discretion in music selection and overall show presentation.
1. Contestants must be 45 years of age or under on or before 12 April 2019.
2. Contestants must be permanent HKID card holders.
3. Relevant experience in the fashion design industry is required. In the case of fashion design students, a copy of the valid student identity card must be submitted together with the application form.
4. Each contestant must be sponsored by a Hong Kong clothing manufacturer/enterprise which is prepared to put the design into production.
The judging panel will take into account the following factors in the selection of award winners:
• Creativity & Originality
• Workmanship & Choice of fabric
• Overall appeal
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. All designs must be original and have never been paraded or presented before. Collections infringing on copyright or paraded before will lead to disqualification. The collection can be a Spring/ Summer or Fall/ Winter collection for women, men or a mixture of both. (Fashion students graduating in 2019 who are selected to parade at graduation shows before YDC may submit to YDC a collection based on the same concept of their graduation project, but the final four sets of outfits to be paraded at YDC shall still be different from their paraded collection.)
2. Each contestant will submit eight presentation boards in the sequence below:
No. 1: Theme board - with collection title & fashion story/ statement in English as mandatory (Supplemented in Chinese), explaining the design concept/ inspiration, collection season, for women, men or a mixture of both;
No. 2: Mood board;
No. 3: Full sketches board - four designs grouped on one presentation board;
No. 4-7: Individual sketch board - clearly indicating No. 1 to 4, describe in detail the individual design, colors and details mock-up etc.
No.8: Fabric swatches/ samples - suggested size not to be smaller than 120mm x 120mm.
Presentation should all be done in FULL COLOR on A3-size paper boards (420 x 297mm). Please do not submit 3-D models/ presentation sets. All presentation boards should not carry any names or logos or signatures as to reveal the contestant's identity.
3. The selected designers will be required to submit one set of completed outfit for screening at a Meet-The-Judge session which is scheduled for early June 2019 (date to be confirmed). Outfits that do not meet the Council and judges’ required standard will be rejected.
4. All submitted show garments must be produced in accordance with the original submitted design sketches. Any significant discrepancy from the original submitted designs will lead to disqualification.
5. All entrants and finalists are required to meet the deadlines of entry and show garment submission. Late submissions will not be accepted and the contestants may be disqualified.
6. All finalists are required to attend all meetings, press interviews and photo sessions with both local and international media representatives arranged by the Council.
7. The Council will retain the copyright of all photographs and videos taken of the entries and is entitled without limitation and obligation to use and reproduce the said photographs, video, etc. in any form whatsoever. The Council shall be exempted from any royalty or payment to the entrants or contestants and retain all the rights for showing, publishing and exhibiting the winning and other selected entries at its discretion.
8. While the Council will exercise maximum care in handling all entries, the Council will assume no liability for any damage or loss of any kind.
9. All finalists will be reimbursed for the cost of collection by the Organiser (for up to HK$6,000) against submitting original receipts.
PANEL OF JUDGES
The YDC judging panel comprises distinguished industry professionals. Every year the panel is headed by the Chairman of the HKTDC Garment Advisory Committee, who is joined by a group of fashion designers, magazine editors, marketing and retail specialists etc.
Past Judges: Martine Rose, MUG, Hiromichi Ochiai, Atsuro Tayama, Veronique Leroy, Margareta van den Bosch, Johanna Ho, Barney Cheng and representatives from D-mop, JOYCE and i.t.
Completed online application form must be submitted by 12 April 2019, 23:59 and sketches must reach HKTDC office no later than 17 April 2019, 17:00.
(1) Online application: www.fashionally.com
*Successful online applicant will be given a reference number. Please quote the reference number when submitting the sketch boards.
(2) Submit sketch boards to HKTDC Creative Dept.
38/F, Office Tower, Convention Plaza, 1 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
(Office hours: Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00 except 12:30-14:00 / Sat, Sun & Public holidays closed)
*For application by mail or by a third party, a copy of the applicant‘s Hong Kong ID card is required.
Apr 12: Deadline of online application (HKT 23:59)
Apr 17: Deadline of sketches submission to HKTDC (HKT 17:00)
Apr 30: Announcement of shortlisted finalists
(will be announced on FASHIONALLY website & Facebook, finalists will be also contacted individually)
May 3: Briefing meeting at HKTDC to go through all YDC important dates and issues (finalists must attend)
Jun 3: Submission of the first set of outfit to HKTDC and meet the judges in HKTDC
Aug 30-Sept 3: Fitting of four sets of completed outfits including accessories
Sept 7: Contest day & prize presentations
There will be three prizes:
• First runner up
• Second runner up
Details of other prize sponsors and awards will be announced separately later.
Enquiry: 1830 668 / email@example.com